>This topic has been pretty funny actually.  It would seem that most of you
>would like to use
>CODE/400 but you all want someone else to pay for it.  That's possibly
>understandable for the
>permanent employees but rather ridiculous for the "consultants".

Funny wasn't the word I was thinking of.  Here in the Rust Belt, it's like
pulling teeth
to get the company to spend a dollar on something we don't absolutely need to
have.
This is true of 4 companies that I worked for, all here in Upstate New York
(Albany area:
250 km or so north of NY City.)

>I liked the analogy of a mechanics tools.  Most mechanics, plumbers,
>carpenters, etc have to
>provide a certain number of their own tools.  It's an expected part of the
>job.  The boss may
>pay for the heavy (or capital) equipment and consumables but the workers
>provide the hammers,
>saws, drills, socket set, wrenches, etc.

My first employer refused to spend that dollar for a PC based editor, so when
Flex/Edit
came out, I bought a copy for myself.  We had 3 AS/400's and a S/36.  It was a
hassle
doing work on the "remote" 400's because I had to SNADS the source to my local
400
before Flex could use PC Support to bring it to my PC.  Once I had it on my PC,
I had
to use SEU on the remote 400 to put a note in the source that I was working on
it, so
that no other programmer would tinker it while I had it on my PC.  I only used
Flex/Edit
for major development, because when it came time to test/debug, I had to keep
the source
on the remote machine because it would not compile on the local one.

Despite these conditions, I used it until I changed jobs.  I used it because I
tend to
write fairly modular code, and Flex/Edit offered me the ability to work in
"outline"
mode: expand the subroutine you're working on, while viewing a compact version
showing me the references.  Having an on-line field usage was extremely valuable
as was undo/redo.  By far, the best feature, the one that made me shell out my
own
money was the search/replace capability.  Being able to grep my current
project's
program/file/display file members and replace field names, find subroutines,
etc.
was a godsend.  That allowed me to "go back" and clean up older code with the
confidence that I hadn't missed something through manual scan/replace cycles.

Why did I stop using it?  When I changed jobs, I went to work for a firm where
there are 60+ remote AS/400's.  All the source code is out there; none of it
here.
The mechanical issues of fetching, "pseudo-locking" and replacing the source
are too error prone.  Some of these clients are connected via TCP/IP, some are
dial-up.  No PC editor deals well with that environment.  Because I changed
jobs, I have not kept up with the upgrades; I recently downloaded a demo copy
from the web; it's still as good as I remember it being.

>Why should we be so different?  It is reasonable to expect a client have ADTS
>installed if
>they are intending to hire programmers, that they should provide you with a
>desk from which to
>work, and that they provide a means of connecting to the AS/400.  However if
>you want to use
>different tools you should provide them.  Permanent employees could reasonably
>expect a PC to
>be provided but consultants should provide their own laptop.  Consultants can
>purchase
>software as a business expense more easily than permanent employees but even
>they could be
>expected to provide some of their tools.  They can probably make it tax
>deductable also.  The
>advantage is you get to use the tools you like.

This is OK as long as the tool vendor doesn't require a license for each of the
60+
AS/400's you need to work on.  A PC based editor works pretty well in this
circumstance,
because the license is for the PC, not the 400.

Buck Calabro