>> But the boss sez: I pay you the same salary anyway.  Where does "he/she who
>signs the
>> checks" save any money.  Now we have to prove to them that bringing an
>application on
>> line before lunch instead of after paid for it.  Like I don't have enough to
>do :)
>
>Well, if the boss prefers less productivity for his dollar, and you don't
>mind being less productive, you guys should skip Code/400 and stick with
>status quo.

Chris,
You were doing OK until this bit. <g>
Essentially, what we've been trying to tell you is that the boss feels like
he *IS* getting the most productivity for his dollar.  Here's an actual
exchange that I endured:

When I tell management that they should get CODE/400, here're the questions
they ask of me:
1. What does it do?
          (Improved, modern PC based editor, debugger)
2. What does that buy you?
          (Programmer productivity increases by allowing you to look at your
code
           in a more modular way {Colour coding, outlining} multi-member edit,
           indented view, bookmarks, change tags in columns 1-5, integrated
           debugger, etc.  Read this brochure...)
3. How much does this cost?
          (750 per seat x 100 programmers = 75,000 dollars US)
4. What's the ROI?
          (<making numbers up> We can add 1 man-day per week.  At say $100
           per hour x 8 hours, that's 800 dollars savings a week x 100
           programmers=80,000 dollars a week.  It pays for itself in one week,
           and is gravy after that.)
5. What's the learning curve?
          (<making more numbers up> You're a novice until noon, and savings
start
           by the end of the first day.)
6. Where did you get these numbers?
          (I heard about them on this cool listserv I subscribe to.)
7. How many other shops in the area are using it?
          (Ummm....)
8. Why not?
          (They're not as forward thinking as we are!)
9. There must be a reason nobody seems to use it.  We doubt those savings
    numbers because *we* can do all that funky stuff with SEU:

 - Multiple windows (one in the current C spec area, one in the I or D specs,
one in my subroutines, etc. etc.) - move from one to another simply - even view
the data definitions while editing the calcs.
          Multiple sessions... cut and paste.

 - Use bookmarks in source to quickly move from place to place
          Line numbers

 - Colour coded display so that you can tell fields apart even when they touch
          RPG is column oriented... prompt if you're confused

 - A Tab key that knows where the fields are!
          ALT-Right arrow works fine

 - A help key that shows the relevant portion of the manual
         Open a window on the manual if you need it

 - View only lines that reference a specific field
         F16=Find

 - Completely verify a program (i.e. a full compiler type check, not just
syntax) in seconds _before_ wasting time submitting (and waiting for) a batch
compile just to find that you mis-spelled a field name!!
          We're going to have to compile it on the /400 to test it anyway

 - find errors in the source simply by clicking on the error line
          F15, option 2, *ERR, find

 - full point and click interactive debugger with ability to watch any number
of variables, etc. etc.
          Sounds like IDSB
10. What about editing code out at client sites.  Wouldn't you have to use
      SEU out there?
          (Well, yes)

You get the idea.

I paid for a copy of the first version of Flex/Edit myself at my last job;
it became worthless at my current position because of all the work I do
dialled out to customers.  Even locally, we're attached via TCP/IP, which
makes even that more work than it's worth.  Now, TCP/IP has been around
for a real long time now; neither Flex nor CODE work natively with it!
When you have to keep a DOS window open to FTP your source around,
the boss gets real skeptical about your "savings" numbers...

Yes, I know that Flex and CODE are releasing TCP/IP versions
Real Soon Now, but how does that placate the boss right now?
Or, a year ago, or two years ago?  He sees this as a reason to
stay clear of PC based products: who knows what will break it
in the future (he wonders?)

Bottom line: The boss takes your view that he needs maximum
value for his dollar.  He does not share our view that CODE or
FLEX makes me more efficient.  Therefore, spending $750 per
person for the same efficiency equates to a DROP in "bang for
the buck."

Buck Calabro
Commsoft Albany, NY