Search for a record in a file

  • Subject: Search for a record in a file
  • From: John Hall <jhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:56:04 -0500

fixed

I need to search about 10 different files to see if any of them contain
a field with a specific value.  Each file has around 200K records.  This
is an occasional search 1 or 2 times a week.  Most of the files are
history files and will not be added to.

I only need to know if the file contains any records with this value.

Question : what is the most efficient way to search these files ?

I think is is probably either with an SQL statement

SELECT COUNT(TEST) WHERE TEST = &INPUT

or by building a logical over each file keying on the one field

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we are on an F10 and a
2.5 million record by record search is not too quick.

Thanks in advance

John L. Hall
Home Sales Co.
+---