Re: Upgrade Options

  • Subject: Re: Upgrade Options
  • From: Jeff Carey <jeffreycarey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 16:48:35 -0600

fixed

Gary Feinstein wrote:

> I am currently running a 510 with 512Mg of memory, 60 Gig DASD and 2143
> processor.  At most, I have about 50 users on at the same time.  Lately,
> some of my power users are running a number of resource intensive batch
> jobs at the same time.  My quetion is:  What is the best was to upgrade
> in order to get the most bang for the bubk.  Do I throw in another
> processor (bringing me to 2 out of a total possible 4).  Or do I throw
> more memory into the system.  I have heard that RISC is really greedy
> when it comes to memory.  How can I test my system to see which is the
> best option?
> TIA,
> Gary Feinstein
> AS/400 System Administrator
> Planet Hollywood International Inc.
> +---
> | To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com".
> +---

Well, if you can, run one batch or a couple batch jobs at a time instead
of all of them.  If you can't, run performance collection when the heavy
batch jobs are running and model it with BEST/1 (part of Performance
Tools/400).  Also watch WRKSYSSTS - are you getting a lot of faulting?
can memory be moved from other pools to the pools running the batch
jobs?  If all pool faulting is high, then more memory will help.  If
not, a processor upgrade might help (multi-processor systems work great
for batch throughput).
+---