• Subject: Re: QCMDEXC question
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:43:14 -0700

When a CLLE program calls an RPG program you can get a machine check
MCH3601 on the end procedure statement.   This happens most of the time
when you specify a return variable that is short.  The work around is to
the variable with a longer length and substring out the first part.  It is not
consistent.  Programs may run for months.  One day change the program,
without touching the parms, next day it starts getting MCH3601.  It happens
than 50% of the time with 1 byte return variable, say for instance an error

We were really surprised when the response from support was that it was
no longer a bug.  The APAR was closed and they changed the status to a
"restriction with a work around".  Apparently not enough people use CLLE
to make it worth while to fix.  They gave us no commitment that it will be
in any future release.  We are currently on V3R7.

David Morris

At 05:32 PM 1/14/98 -0700, you wrote:

>You mention binding and ILE CL.  ILE CL is too little too
>late and also has a major bug (IBM calls it a restriction with a
work around)  when
>using return variables.

 Can you elaborate on the bug?