Paul:

Just a few comments about the RPG cycle -

1)  It is unique to RPG.  No other language that I know of has this inherent
cycle.  One can "easily" (relatively) convert programs from COBOL to FORTRAN to
BASIC to (pick-your-favorite).  But to convert to/from RPG using the cycle
takes special knowledge (job security?) that only RPG programmers have.  Even
those of us that no longer use the cycle for processing, still use the cycle
for file opens/closes (at least some of us do), so there is still some
RPG-specific knowledge required, but far less, making RPG programs much more
convertible and understandable for non-RPG programmers.  (BTW...I don't use
indicators in the left-hand columns either, no matter how many of those old
programs still have my name on them!)

2)  The RPG cycle isn't the easiest thing to learn.  It took me a week to
figure out how to get the date and time on page 1 of a report using the cycle
and the 1P indicator.  I had to call a friend and he had to _tell_ me...I never
did figure it out on my own!

3)  Having said the above, I _do_ use the cycle for one-time programs that do
_not_ go into production.  Using the cycle for production programs here is
"verboten"...the quickest one-way-ticket to the unemployment line I know of!

The cycle had its place, but I think that place is now in the past.

Bruce Guetzkow
Team Coordinator, Applications Development
Highsmith Inc.
W5527 Highway 106 P.O. Box 800
Fort Atkinson, WI  53538-0800
Tel (920) 563-9571  Fax (920) 563-7395