Booth Martin asked how we named our AS400s.  Well, I confess we're a bit
boring.  Our 2 main systems are named (A) our corporate initials and (B)
the name of one of our locations.

Both names were inherited from 2 other locations that were moved to our
current headquarters.  System Names tend to get -very- thoroughly ingrained
into a system with comm lines and PC attachments.  It was easier to keep
the names.

Our Network ID is NOT APPN; there are some places where everyone using
defaults can cause problems in hooking machines together.  Besides, we
almost -never- leave things untouched.

The one place we touched names that we shouldn't have is the System
Name/Local Location Name/Local Control Point Name.  Although they =-can-=
be different, there are software products that 'assume' you don't change
things.  Stupid products.  Sometime we will make these names the same as
the System Name, but we'll probably have to have a programmer type at all
locations to change names around.

We also have a saying, "If it works here, it'll work anywhere."

Have we given our system an officialy name and refer to it by name?  Yep.
Our users know that their data is on System "A," and Payroll/HR are on
System "B."  They pass through to the other machine as necessary.

We also have remote systems and users pass through all over the place.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com