  • Subject: Re: Attaching a 5495 Controller via ethernet
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:46:19 -0500

Mike wrote:
>We have been told that we can attach our IBM 5494 Controller to our AS/400
>via ethernet through our FSIOP card. We are putting in a T1, along with
>DSU's and routers to be able run our LAN to a remote plant. We have been
>using this 5494 for a few years and have some devices that we want to
>remain twinax (printers mostly).
>Has anyone had experience in such a setup?
>From an AS/400 and 5494 perspective this is a walk in the park
and very easy to setup.  We are doing both TRN and ETH in
conjunction with a frame relay network.

My biggest concern to pass on to you is how the wide area
network is going to handle the bridging/routing of the SNA
traffic.  I used to be up to speed on this (the different approaches
and issues) but have forgotten many, many things.

I'm sure someone can help correct or build on what I'm saying
(or maybe you already know):  since SNA can't be routed in
the traditional sense it must either be bridged or encapsulated.
I believe we are bridging the SNA traffic in our scenario.  If you
need more on this let me know.

With regards to the 5494 you configure both the 5494 and the
AS/400 APPC controller to be LAN attached.  The RWS
configuration remains unchanged.  Depending on your WAN
you may have some timer values that you will need to play
with.

It is really easy.......

Michael Crump
Technical Project Leader