  • Subject: Re: dynamic program CALLS
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 12:07:42 -0500

RE:     Re: dynamic program CALLS

>>Vernon Hamberg wrote:
>> I suspect every call to a CLP requires reinitialization—along the lines of
>> turning on *INLR in RPG.
>>

> James Kilgore said
> That's sort of what I've accepted (heard it before), but it made me curious of
> the purpose of the RETURN code.
> If it doesn't return without ending, the best I've been able to figure out is
> that it is preferred to a GOTO to a labeled ENDPGM.
> But then again, this "common knowledge" may be unfounded.  I'm sure that
>someone
> on this list will set us straight. :)

CLP is recursive.  I believe it still uses the PASA(Program Automatic
Storage Area) which means its variables get "recreated" with each call.
The RETURN CL command just ends the program and returns to its caller.
Just like Setting on *INLR and doing a Return opcode in RPG.

Again there may be a difference between Program reinitialization and
repeatedly resolving to the same object & checking authority when
doing repeated calls (Via a variable name) to the same program.

The difference between the RETURN CL command and the ENDPGM CL command
is this;

  The code after the RETURN CL command may or may not be executed based
on your program logic.

The code after the ENDPGM CL command is ignored during the compilation
process.  It doesn't exist in the object code.  So any code you put
after the ENDPGM command turns out to be just "comments" .

(People from the SYS/36 and OCL may remember putting comments after the
end of the OCL Proc because the interpreter never processed those
statements - performance improvement. Instead of putting the
comments at the top of the program)  Same type of thing here as far as
the ENDPGM CL command is concerned.

John Carr
EdgeTech