  • Subject: Re: NT CA/400 transfer only HEX?
  • From: bdietz@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 20:59:25 -0500

I snipped this from the Service Pack Readme File.  We all remember this, it
the option we uncheck after going thru all the Service Pack install screens
and just before the Re-Start? question.

Bryan Dietz
3X Corp.

2.6  DATA TRANSFER CONSIDERATIONS
---------------------------------
   The following sections describe additional support or known
   problems that you may notice while using the Data Transfer
   function.

2.6.1  TRANSFERRING DATA WHEN THE FILE CCSID IS 65535
   The Data Transfer function will not translate data between ASCII and
   EBCDIC, if the CCSID of the file on the AS/400 is 65535.  Uploads to the
   AS/400 file will generate message "CWBTF0005 - Data in this field is
   incorrect or does not match PC data type."  Downloads to the PC will
   complete successfully, but the data will not be converted, appearing as
   hexidecimal data instead of the correct character data.

   Data Transfer will now allow conversion from CCSID 65535 to the PC CCSID
   on transfers to the PC.  The AS/400 job CCSID will be used for the
   conversion.  Data Transfer will also convert from the PC CCSID to the
   AS/400 job CCSID for transfers to the AS/400 when fields are tagged with
   the 65535 CCSID.

   This conversion is controlled by creating an INI file named CWBTFR.INI
in
   your Windows install directory (which is usually C:\WINDOWS for Windows
95
   and C:\WINNT for Windows NT 4.0). For your convenience, we have shipped
   sample CWBTFR.INI file in the Client Access install directory (which by
   default is C:\Program Files\IBM\Client Access). We also included a
   CWBTFR.TXT file, which explains the different fields. To use CWBTFR.INI,
   copy it to your Windows install directory and change it to reflect the
   options you wish to use.

   The CWBTFR.INI file must contain ONE of following lines:

   ForceTranslation=0;     for no translation of 65535 data
     OR
   ForceTranslation=1;     for translation of 65535 data

   If the CWBTFR.INI file is not found, or the correct section and value
   names are not present in the CWBTFR.INI file, Data Transfer will default
   to not translate 65535 data.

   WARNING: Enable this fix only if you are confident the data contained
            within columns tagged with the 65535 CCSID are in a defined
CCSID
            that matches the user profile CCSID of the jobs that will
access
            it.  Accessing 65535 CCSID data from a job CCSID that does not
            match the data may corrupt data within the database file.  If
you
            don't enable this fix by providing a CWBTFR.INI file, transfers
            will continue to behave as they did before.

            Columns tagged with the 65535 CCSID are designed to not be
            converted when transferring to/from the PC.  Using this fix,
            which forces a conversion to take place, is to be done only
when
            it is not possible to change the column or file CCSID from
65535.
            Every attempt should be made to appropriately tag the data with
            the correct CCSID.

            For more information on the 65535 CSID, see topic 2.2.3.2 in
the
            AS/400 National Language Support book, SC41-1301-00.

            Conversions from CCSID 65535 fields are prone to errors under
            multi-language situations where AS/400 user job CCSIDs do not
match.