Oh man....  this has been a while.  Extra credit, you say?  Well, ok.
Here's a try:

the field is 4 bytes long, eh?  Lets use your first number, 120297+ as the
example. (fixed font!)

 Byte 1  Byte 2   Byte 3   Byte 4
   0        2        2        7      <--- zone portion
   1        0        9        +      <--- digit portion

So I think  would try this:
                                                         12345678
   FND    3   3                  Digit, byte 3 (Y),   of 0mmddYy+
   FNZ    4   4                  Zone,  byte 4 (Y),   of 0mmddyY+
   FNC    1   2                  column 1 & 2  (MMD), of 0MMDdyy+
   FNZ    3   3                  Zone, byte 3  (D),   of 0mmdDyy+

That should give the correct order, barring the ordinary stupidness that I
sometimes display in front of everyone.

but selecting... Another story...  lets see
    ** The low end date:
    O D   3   3NEC9
    OAZ   4   4LTC7
    I D   1   1ECC1
    IAZ   2   2EQC2
    IAD   2   2GEC0
     ** The high end date:
    O Z   4   4NEC8
    I D   1   1ECC0
    IAZ   2   2EQC1
    IAD   2   2LEC1
    IAZ   3   3LEC5
    ** The data:
    F...stuff

I never got it right way back when, so I will be anxious to see if this is
even close.