  • Subject: Retrieving Telnet IP Address using API QDCRDEVD
  • From: Jeffrey Stevens <jssteven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:37:54 -0400

>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:31:00 +0000
>From: Patrick.Archibald@HOMETELCO.COM
>Subject: Retrieving Telnet IP Address using API QDCRDEVD

>To . . . . . MIDRANGE INWARD    midrange.com|midrange-l-digest-owner@MCS.COM
> From . . . . HTPLAINF HTPLAINF  Patrick L Archibald
> Date . . . . October 23, 1997 Time . . . . 02:29:47 PM Subject  . . Retrieving
>Telnet IP Address using API QDCRDEVD

>Has anyone successfully used API QDCRDEVD to retrieve an IP address of
>an Telnet device?  I get all zeroes.

>/ Patrick L Archibald
>/ Home Telephone Company

Just to warn you, it will only work if you are using TCP/IP Telnet, not SNA.  I
have some code examples I can post...but there is also code at the NEWS/400
link I mentioned.  Last, you need some PTF's to pick up this function under
Telnet.

DESCRIPTION
-----------
   Support Telnet session on the Network Station or use the client IP
   address information to kick off LPR or other types or processing.

   Retrieve Device Description (QDCRDEVD) API has been updated to support
   additional fields for TELNET devices.  These additional fields are
   added to record format DEVD0600.  These fields only applies to display
   devices that are used by TELNET.  They are as follows:

    * Network protocol

      The following defines the network protocol:
       - Internet Protocol (IP) value is hex 02.
       - Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX) value is hex 06.

    * Network protocol address

      The network address is uniquely assigned to each system and is used
      in all communications with the system.

      The following format defines the network address based on the
      network protocol:

      - Internet Protocol (IP)
        CHAR(2)  TCP port number
        CHAR(4)  Internet address

      - Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX)
        CHAR(4)  Network identifier
        CHAR(6)  Node identifier
        CHAR(2)  Socket number

     * Internet Protocol (IP) internet address in dotted decimal
       decimal form

       An internet address is a 32-bit address usually written as 4
       decimal numbers, each representing 8 bits of the address.  An
       example internet address in dotted decimal form is 128.12.28.43.

       Each system on the TCP/IP network is assigned a unique internet
       address that is used in all communications with the system.

       This field applies only to display devices that are
       used by TELNET and has a network protocol value of hex
       02 which means Internet Protocol (IP).

    The field definition and offset are as follows:

    * Network protocol
       CHAR(1)    OFFSET - Decimal 858, Hexadecimal 35A

    * Network protocol address
       CHAR(18)   OFFSET - Decimal 859, Hexadecimal 35B

    * IP internet address in dotted decimal form
       CHAR(15)   OFFSET - Decimal 877, Hexadecimal 36D

PTF'S REQUIRED
--------------
Telnet PTF's to support IP address extensions in QDCRDEVD API.  All 4
PTF's for each release are required for this fix.  These fixes will be
included in the base code for subsequent releases.

V3R2M0:

  5763TC1
    SF38885
  5763SS1
    SF38886
    SF38688
    SF38876

V3R7M0:

  5716TC1
    SF38535
  5716SS1
    SF38536
    SF38357
    SF37172

Jeff Stevens - AS/400 TCP/IP Applications (LPD/WSG/Telnet)