  • Subject: RE: MIDRANGE-L Digest V1 #720
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:52:59 -0400

Date:   10/21/97 11:22 AM

RE:     RE: MIDRANGE-L Digest V1 #720

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, James Turnbull wrote:
>> you document the code.  I am endlessly finding some data area that
>> contains a seemingly meaningless string of characters and no reference
>> in the customer's doco as to what the data area controls or contains.
>> James Turnbull
>> AS/Tech Consulting

> Jeff said;
>       For, just this reason it is a good idea to use DDS-PF to define
>the data area. This gives you a clean overlay and Field Definition. Just
>define an external data structure in your code, and the data area can
>then be read into and updated from the DS. No Guessing.  Be sure to set
>the PF to no members when you create to prevent accidently reading or
>writtting to it. Although, it makes a good transaction log with before and
>after images if you need them for a audit trail.
>       Jeff Silberberg
>       CompuDesigns, Inc.
>From: "Jeffrey M. Silberberg" <silbrbrg@netcom.com>

Jeff
Couldn't have said it better.  I use it also to "Mask" or "Define" the LDA.
To init the LDA,  Just have a program that defines the LDA D/S externally,
Do an "IN" of the LDA into that D/S and then do a RESET 'D/S Name'  and
OUT the Initialized LDA.

<BSB>
Now then, (Hans),  if (when compiling the program) they would bring in the
DDS Default(DFT) values for the fields in that template file,  Then you
wouldn't have to hard code the INZ values for each field in the program!
<ESB>

John Carr
EdgeTech