>Are you doing much with AFP printing? We're in the midst of evaluating that
>process, to replace, eventually, our homebrew PCL stream-building system..
<snip about HP printers>

We're just starting to move into AFP printing.  We use IPDS to produce
barcodes on bills for scanning at payment time, and also to produce
Postnet barcodes for the Postal Service discounts.  Our intent is to
produce logos and draw boxes, lines, etc.

>I have questions, too, about fonts (AFP Fonts, Compatibility Fonts,
>Sonorans and Beyond, etc.). My impression is that IBM's support for AFP on
>the 400 is rather weak-there's no education, e.g.-only for mainframe users..
>Am I missing something?

I really can't speak on the education issue, but it is certainly true that
most of the manuals have been written with the tacit assumption that
a mainframer is converting (rightsizing?) an application to the /400.

It has been my unfortunate experience that different printers support
a different subset of fonts, so my Barak-5 may print huge letters on
a 3130 (like it's supposed to), but only print tiny letters on my LAN
attached 4317.  I may well be missing something myself...

Buck Calabro
Commsoft, Rensselaer, NY