  • Subject: Re[2]: Use of WSCST object with LPR
  • From: Carol.Collins@xxxxxxxxxxx (Carol Collins)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:01:29 -0600

     Michael Kenney wrote:

     >Check the definition of the print file. The parameter Degree of Page
     >rotation may be set to *AUTO or *COR  which may reduce the font and
     >rotate it to landscape  for wider  reports.  If you specify and
     >actual value such as  0 (degrees) the page should print  in portrait
     >with no font reduction.

     Thanks for the suggestion.  I experimented with the parameters in the
     printer file.  Since I want landscape and some compression, I think I
     want *AUTO or *COR.  I just don't want quite so much compression.  I
     tried both *AUTO and *COR, to see if there was any difference - there
     is none.  I also tried 12 cpi instead of 10.  This did make a
     difference - almost right, but the rightmost character or so didn't
     make it onto the page.  Top to bottom was perfect.

     My problem is this:  I don't want to change any printer file
     parameters; they are set up correctly for when users wish to print to
     the line printer, or via Rumba to a LAN printer.  I DO want to set a
     PCL string in my WSCST which will initialize the LAN printer to use
     the correct font size / compression factor when LPR is used.

     Alan Pruitt wrote:

     >Carol, did you end and restart the printer, where did you put the new
     >customized object, is it a LAN printer connected through a
     >gateway. Just did this a while back.   Thanks

     Yes, I did restart the printer with ENDWTR and STRRMTWTR.  It didn't
     seem to matter.  I'm not sure whether it's not using the wscst or not
     using any of the specifications in the wscst.  I suspect the latter.
     Maybe, if there are no AFP specifications which match those in the
     wscst, nothing gets used.  I would have expected at least the
     initialization string would be used.

     The new wscst object is in a library I use for locally changed
     objects. And I have specified that library in the output queue
     definition.  The LAN printer is connected to the ethernet LAN, as is
     the AS/400, and both communicate via TCP/IP (no gateway).

     Thanks for the suggestions.  Any other ideas?

 |    Carol Collins   Sr. Network Administrator                          |
 |                    WASTREN  /  Holmes and Narver Services, Inc.       |
 |                    2597 B-3/4 Road                                    |
 |                    Grand Junction, CO  81503                          |
 |                    U.S. Dept of Energy  Grand Junction Office         |
 |    Internet:       Carol.Collins@doegjpo.com                          |
 |    Phone   :       (970) 248-6524                                     |