  • Subject: Re: Year 2000
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:36:48 +0100

MR ROY H SCHNAUSS III wrote:

> well I learned my lesson when I signed the licensing aggreement with
> them.  They wrote all of these rediculous clauses in the contract.
> The moral of the story is always get a lawyer to read a contract
> first.  If I had read it I would have realized that I wasn't buying
> the package but somehow was just renting it maybe.  I really couldnt
> describe what I got when I paid the money for it.  They even made me
> return the disks when I dropped their support services!!!

Live and learn.

Guess what Roy, you paid $27-40K for a copy of what a company paid
$3,000,000 (at least) to write. And the agreement was NOT a purchase
agreement, it was a license to use.  To sell implies transfer of
ownership and there is no way on God's earth I or any other software
company is going to give you 1,000,000+ lines of code for 27K!

Those rediculous clauses are to prevent someone from distributing
property, owned by the authors, to the general public.  If you think you
got screwed, pay .50 per line for development costs. Then you will own
it.

You posted twice...I got fired up twice....:-)

Is it the change of seasons or what?

James W. Kilgore
QAPPSDSN@ibm.net