  • Subject: Re: CHGPF Question
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 07:39:38 -0400

>Many AS/400 owners are small to medium size companies.  They have little
>to no MIS staff.  Certainly no DBA's.  Their computers are wedged in
>tight somewhere in their phone closet.  It's hot in their offices in the
>summer, and cold in the winter.  Not everything is perfect.  I agree
>that a perfect world doesn't use LVLCHK(*NO).  I agree that there can be
>problems.  But in the case that I stated, it was the only way to go.
>Guess what? The programs worked, nothing bombed, they landed a new
>customer, and I got the job done.  Do you think that if I told the
>customer that I really can't get the programming changes done today
>because it is bad form to use LVLCHK(*NO) they would understand?  No,
>they would say, "make it happen."

I think the above is pretty clear, Art. What you are saying is that you
know it is the wrong thing to do, but you did it anyway as the "quick and
dirty" solution. LVLCHK(*NO) is no more short sighted than hard coding
department numbers or using two digit years.

When a customer puts an AS/400 in a closet, I tell them why (if) I feel
they are doing the wrong thing. When they ask me to slap together
something in 15 minutes I tell them why I think this is a mistake. It is
the customers mistake to make, though, and I will allow that they can
authorize any stupid thing they want. But they should be given full
information first.

When you are familiar with all the code on a site, and you practice quick
fixes that you know will work just fine, then you become necessary for the
operation of that site. That might be a disservice to the customer and
they should be made aware.

I've coded untold zillions of lines of RPG that use two digit years. To
date, they run just fine and the customers are making big bucks. But I am
not going to try and say that this was the right thing to do because it
was quicker and nothing bombed. The show ain't over.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net
You have to ask yourself, "How often can I afford to be unexpectedly out of
business?"
Get an AS/400.