  • Subject: Re: Record locking (was: commitment or journaling)
  • From: "Kahn, David" <KAHN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:35:00 +0600

Booth Martin (boothm@ibm.net) wrote:

>Did I miss a point in his request?  Was Tim planning on doing any updating
>of the master record?  I thought he wanted to just spin some comment
>records, up to 20 at a time, out to a detail file and he was needing to
>assure the records remained in proper sequence and not scattered or
>randomly mixed with other comments?

Booth, you're absolutely right - he did say that. Shall we bombard him
with solutions for the real problem now?  :-)

How about putting the user's comments into a data queue and letting a
single server program add them to the detail file, assigning the next
available sequence number in each case? That takes care of adding
comments. Now, what happens when they need to be updated? Because the
comments all belong together it's not just a case of single record
locking. If one of the updates is disallowed, they must all be. Aha! now
I see why Tim was thinking about commitment control. If the update to
comment line 20 is disallowed we would have to back out changes to lines
1 through 19.

What about James' idea of having a mechanism to detect that comments for
this master record are being reviewed? Tell the user he can look at
existing comments and add new ones, but not update any until the other
user has let go. It might be nice to be able indicate who the other user
is just in case they've gone home for the day.

Any more ideas?

Dave Kahn - TCO, Tengiz, Kazakstan
=========

e-mail:  kahn@tengizchevroil.com    (until September 30th)