  • Subject: S36 $COPY
  • From: Doug Hart <dhart@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:18:38 EST4EDT

  We are having a reoccurring problem that has been around for
years.  We still have some *OLD* S36 OCL procedures that use the
$COPY function.  If a file is already open by a job and then
another job running $COPY tries to use it as it's input file
(filein) the $COPY will go into a wait trying to get an exclusive
lock on the file, this finally times out and fails.  This seems
odd as it should only require a shared read lock.  We are on
OS/400 v3.1 and v3.7, both fail the same way.

  When investigating this I found that the member COPYDATA in
QSSP/QS36PRC has been modified.  I do not know the history behind
why the was changed.

  stmt 53.00 was-->   //  UNIT-F1,DISP-SHRRR
     changed to -->   //  UNIT-F1,DISP-SHR

  Can anyone explain what this would do?

--
Doug Hart -  dhart@syra.net         President
Sr. Consulting Technical Analyst    Central New York AS/400 User Group