On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:55:13 -0500, Scott Johnson
<sjohnson@highsmith.com> wrote:

I mentioned just this thing in my Y2K posts. We have 2 problems to
overcome: a coding problem with our databases and programs that must
be fixed to accommodate four-digit years, AND a user perception
problem with entering two-digit years.

Yes, the coding problem is a major undertaking, and is not a pretty
sight.

What I haven't seen is the back-end training for the users to
understand WHY they must start using four-digit years.

Just looking around my desk, here's the things I see that default to
"19": check book, credit cards, bank statements and credit card
statements, a legal document. Like I said, most preprinted forms have
"19" written in for you. All you have to do is write the last 2
digits. If the 19 is wrong, just cross it out.

We can't do that with a computer. The computer, like Scott said, can't
read the user's mind. Therefore, we must train the users to start
entering four digit years. That may be just as great a problem as
fixiing the code, because people don't like that change. (Also getting
people to realize that Lotus, Excel, and Quattro Pro have the same
basic functionality, but that's another story altogether...)

I've read messages about people leaving printouts and displays to
"normal" two-digit years. I think this is the wrong thing to do. That
just aggravates the user's perception. Everything should reflect the
true date, and not assume a "default" of the current century.
Eventually, we must have date fields in DDS files also and stop
relying on numeric with edit codes or fancy character output fields.

Programs have to learn to validate dates, and the databases, screens
and printer files should, also. Don't let this opportunity to plug a
major hole go to waste!

The users must be reminded on every front that there is a change in
the way they work. That is, until the telepathic interface is
perfected. ^_^

 - lg -

--
A book: ...turn a page, read, read, read, read...
Television: ...click, watch, watch, watch, watch...