  • Subject: RE: DATE fields in RPG-IV
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 07:09:20 -0700

>Uh, actually Chris, I was on a conference call last year with several
>individuals. One of whom was the developer/planner for date fields. Based
>on that conversation and subsequent ones I have had, I stand by my
>statements.  I don't usually finger point, and since I was asked not to
>disclose the details of the conversation, I won't.  I mean Chris, what's
>your point? Do you think I'm making this stuff up?

Sure Bob. I think that if you are deciding what someone else's motivation
is that yes, you are making it up. I don't want to put it that way, but
that is after all how you phrased the question.

I hate it when people do that to me. I would guess the developer feels the
same way.

I have written some damn nice pieces of code that I had to toss because
even though they worked great, they just didn't fit the problem being
solved. I am sure that other developers do the same.

Maybe you are right. But neither you nor I can know that is true because
neither of use is inside the developers head.

All you know for sure is that you feel it should be changed and it hasn't.
The conversations you have had may lead you to believe something, but that
is all.

The point, Bob, is stick with facts. You don't like the timing of the date
types. IBM hasn't agreed to change them. You would like to see a
performance improvement and some functionality improvements. You would
settle for the functionality improvement if you had to.

Aren't those the relevant points in your comments re. the date types? Then
what is served by a personal attack on the developer?

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net
You have to ask yourself, "How often can I afford to be unexpectedly out of
business?"
Get an AS/400.