  • Subject: RE: DATE fields in RPG-IV
  • From: Bob Cozzi <BobCozzi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:51:07 -0500

John,

>            P.P.S  (Years ago when the "performance seminars" said
>                   not to use "variable name calls" in RPGIII because
>                   of 'poor' performance.  I still used them because
>                   it was the right design technique, No performance
>                   Problems then either)

The use of the EXSR opcode was another performance killer. But like the
DATE datatype, we want to use this feature. So we did and demanded that IBM
fix the performance issue. How many times have you and I sat in on a
Requirements meeting (with Neal, Sloan, and others) and heard IBM ask, in
response to a new requirement, "How do you want that to perform?" Of course
the answer always is "Make it run faster!"

The point is, the AS/400 is engineered by electrical engineers among
others. It an be modified. "Software integrated circuits" is what John
Sears calls it. The only reason DATE fields still perform bad is because
the people that implemented it, or designed it are to proud of their work
to "fix" it. You know this system and the S/38 before it has always been a
"check your ego at the door" machine; an almost scientific open mindedness.
We used to hear responses like "that's an interesting idea, we'll look into
it."  Now we hear more and more of "that's the way it works!"

Whether they think they've fixed it with silicon, or VLIC, DATE datatypes
have to perform better across the board. Not just on the box they might
announce tomorrow. There are 300,000 plus customers out there that will say
"who cares, I don't have one" if they announce that the DATE performance
issue if fixed on the "e" series.  Granted most of ILE works better on
PowerPC-RISC boxes, but DATE support was there a long time ago, and is not,
as far as I know, an ILE question.

I have only two AS/400's today: My original B10 (which is now a C10 or
something like that) and a RISC model (40S or S40 or AS400 model 400 or
other such confusing name). The C10 is in the garage with a sheet of
plywood on it, being used as a shelf (anybody want it?) The RISC model is
my development/production system.

If I write a new application, I think twice about using date fields. I can
do everything I want with numeric fields containing dates, using RPG IV. I
can also manipulate the date values in RPGIII if they are stored in my
database as zoned numeric fields. In RPG IV I can easily convert these
numeric fields to DATE variables.

I suppose, I could compromise on function over performance if Toronto would
do two things.

1. Add blank line tolerance to the RPGIII compiler.
2. Add native date datatype support to RPGIII, including ADDDUR, SUBDUR,
EXTRACT, etc.

This would provide enough of an incentive to use date fields in my
database. I do use them today, for time-stamping records, but only in apps
that are new, and written exclusively without RPGIII.

I realize that the Toronto lab is not responsible for the DATE problem. But
over the years, Rochester has "fixed" a lot of things that Toronto should
have corrected. Since Toronto is doing a lot of great things lately,
perhaps it's time for pay back. <g>

Bob Cozzi
Bob@RPGIV.COM
www.rpgiv.com