  • Subject: Re: ADVERTISING SUPPORT/ComputerWorld 7/28 - LONG
  • From: "Joe Teff" <jteff19@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:14:28 -0500

Bob, I agree completely with your point of view. Every couple of years a new
"magic" solution comes along that will fix everything (4th GL, Case, LANS,
Client/Server, UNIX....). Each has their niche, but none are the final
solution. I am planning to learn C++ and Java just because it's something new
to learn. I learned Flex/Edit. I learned AS/SET. I learned Visual Objects. I
learned Visual Basic. I learned MS Access. I learned Impromptu. I learned
Oracle. I still program in RPG using PDM on the AS/400 everyday for my job.
Many shops still use Windows 3.1 on PCs. I know more shops that run CISC boxes
than RISC boxes. Most are still trying to figure out if the Internet will add
value to their business (to justify actually implementing a solution).

Joe Teff
QDS
Bloomington, MN
----------
Bob Cozzi wrote:

The think about JAVA is that it is our industry's decease of the week, this
week.

A few years ago, it was OO, then C++, now Java. None of these things will
help the AS/400, and while I don't know Bruce Bond, I think the idea of
giving up RPG for Java is, well, in a word, STUPID!

Yes, learning Java is fine. I love learning. I encourage learning. But most
of these blanket statements telling use successful AS/400 developers to
stop using X in order to use Y is stupid. Where are these new decease of
the week coming from? They come from the rest of the industry. The unstable
industry. Their applications keep not working so they keep coming up with
ways to get the job of programming out of the programmer's hands. Yes they
write cool embedded systems, in things like the USRobotics PalmPilot, or
the Mars Sojourner rover, but they do not like to write general purpose
business applications.

General Purpose Business applications need stable easy to read, and
manipulate languages like RPG, COBOL, and PL/I. Java pretty close to an
okay, stable language and perhaps it will become another COBOL or RPG. But
did the COBOL programmers give up COBOL when RPG on the AS/400 become
popular? Did the RPG programmers give up RPG when C became popular on the
AS/400? Some did, but the other 99.9 percent did not.

Today, again in my opinion, Java is a brain-dead language that requires
entirely too much coding to do a simple interactive application. This is
not to say that it may not become a good language at some point, but today
it isn't as useful as magazine writers an analyst say it is. After all, we
all get board with the same thing day in and day out. We get board with
green screen terminals, so we get color, we get board with color and we get
graphical (OOPS, Rochester still can spell graphical yet.. sorry <g>). The
people writing magazine article and doing lectures get really board talking
about something that "just works". It is much more exciting to write about
the newest and greatest stuff. It is very boring to write about the RPG
cycle, or the CHAIN opcode.

We as developers get board too. We have the unique opportunity, within our
industry, to actually change our careers without changing our profession.
That is if we get board with RPG, we can go do something else, such as work
for Microsoft. Those opportunities are there for us, but for others, it is
much more difficult.

Businesses are in the business of making money, and staying in business to
make money. The AS/400 is still the most reliable system (in my opinion) of
any system ever built, no exceptions. If you're using RPGIII, RPG IV or
COBOL to make you business applications work, great!  If you're using
something else, well that's great too.

But a blanket statement that says to move to Java or C or Rexx, or
whatever, is just dumb. Virtually nobody cares if those languages are
technically superior to RPG IV. If we really cared about things like that
in this industry, we'd all be using OS/2 on our ThinkPads (or better yet,
OS/400 <g>).

The fact is, RPG IV works, RPGIII is still the workhorse of our industry.
Just because a few developers, magazine writers and analysts are board with
it, doesn't make Java or anything else any better at doing general purpose
business applications.

The difficult part of our job as RPG programmers, is to get IBM Rochester
and Toronto to understand that we like RPG, we like the AS/400. We use it
because we like it and it works!  The rest of the industry may have this or
that bell or whistle, but the AS/400 is were its at. And the AS/400 means
RPG, because "RPG IV, it just works!"