 I have just replaced the IBM 5853 on our ECS line with a Motorola UDS
 V.3400.  Following the instructions of Dave M. and others on this list, I
 loaded option set 9.  Then I tried to use it, via the SNDSRVRQS *TEST
 command.  It doesn't work. :(

 Via the front panel, I stored the IBM service phone number in the modem,
 and requested that the modem dial that number.  It worked perfectly.  But,
 when the AS/400 talks to it, it doesn't dial.  What does happen is this:

 QESLINE, CTL and device vary on.  The entry in QESTELE is sent to the modem
 (according to the system log), the TR and CS indicators go on.  That's it.
 After cycling through the four numbers in QESTELE, the line, etc vary off,
 and a message goes to the log, indicating:

  Message ID . . . . . . :   CPA58DE       Severity . . . . . . . :   99

  Message type . . . . . :   Inquiry

  Date sent  . . . . . . :   08/07/97      Time sent  . . . . . . :
 14:29:23

  Message . . . . :   Call to controller QESCTL on line QESLINE failed.
 Modem command not valid. (C R)

  Cause . . . . . :   The modem received a command or command parameter
 from the system that was not valid.  This could result from an error in
 the connection number (CNNNBR parameter) in the controller description or
 from a modem problem.

  Recovery  . . . :   Consult your modem documentation, and correct the
 CNNNBR parameter in the controller description.  Verify the modem
 operation and configuration.

    R -- Try again one more time.
  Technical description . . . . . . . . :   The error log identifier is
    X'80001E18'.
      The error code is X'44001261':  V.25bis call failure.

 Naturally, I found out the hard way, that changing the CNNNBR parameter on the
 controller description has no effect.  The QESTELE data area had the following
 string:

                         SST9:18003270949

 I assumed that SST is the appropriate modem command for the IBM 5853
 (similar the the ATDT in front of a dial command for Hayes compatible
 async).  So, I changed the entry to 'CRN 9:18003270949', but this did not
 work any better.  I have also tried variations of this, such as including
 a 'T', 'W', and other appropriate characters.  So far, no luck.

 Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

 -- Carol

 |    Carol Collins   Sr. Network Administrator                          |
 |                    WASTREN  /  Holmes and Narver Services, Inc.       |
 |                    2597 B-3/4 Road                                    |
 |                    Grand Junction, CO  81503                          |
 |                    U.S. Dept of Energy  Grand Junction Office         |
 |    Internet:       Carol.Collins@doegjpo.com                          |
 |    Phone   :       (970) 248-6524                                     |