  • Subject: Re: Sluggish network neighborhood
  • From: fcubbage@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:28:54 -0400

>Jack Mullins wrote:
>>
>>  Hello All,
>>
>> However, I've noticed that anytime the /400 is connected to the
>> Microsoft Network, we experience very slow access to shared
>> resources.  If we bypass the /400, the access time is great!  For
>> instance, if I open Network Neighborhood, it usually takes close to
>> minute to display everyone in my workgroup when the /400 is included.

My answer is Yes and No.  I see a difference, but nothing approaching a
minute.
I think the key is (as stated below) "initially", once contact is made, I
don't
see much difference.  If you start opening folders, this will be slower
than
accessing directories on other 'quick/not busy' PCs.
If you take it a step further, i.e. use the 400 as a File Server, its
response seems
to be much slower than our NetWare Servers.
BTW: I know you say "Microsoft Network", but what are the details? Is
this direct connected Ethernet with the AS/400 running TCP/IP and the PCs
using the TCP/IP within Windows/95, or do you have something in between
(gateway, AnyNet, SAA)?