  • Subject: Re: Batch FTP advice
  • From: AlanPruitt@xxxxxxxxx (Alan Pruitt)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:33:13 -0400

<We have some jobs that we run in batch to create files and then upload
<them to various remote PC directories by FTP. The FTP command script is
<stored in a source file and we issue an OVRDBF FILE(INPUT)
<TOFILE(xxxxx/yyyyy) MBR(zzzzzz) followed by STRTCPFTP RMTSYS(rrrrrr).

<As far as it goes, this works fine. Unfortunately the script source file
<member contains the ID and password needed to log on to the remote
<system. I hate the idea of storing passwords in clear. I suppose I could
<devise some scheme to encrypt/decrypt the source file member and
<restrict access to the encryption key to the profile running the job.
<Does anyone have a better suggestion or an alternative method that would
<be more secure?

David, I created a user profile called FTPUSER with no password.

I then created a file that has From File, From Library, From Member, To file,
to directory, Remote system, User ID, Password.  The only user
that has access to this is the system administrator, and FTPUSER has
read rights and public exclude.

I then created a command with From: File, Library, Member
                              To:   File, Directory, Remote System

This command name FTPFILE calls a program that the programmers use in thier
applications.  The CPP is owned by user FTPUSER and adopts authority of the
owner.  This program creates a source file in QTEMP that builds the FTP
commands.  When command is executed I copy the output commands to a source file
for checking to make sure it went okay.
Passwords are not included in the output file.
Maybe this gives you some ideas. Some of the code was from an article
in News 3X/400 that I used as a base to build my application. If you need
code let me know.