  • Subject: RE: Client Access Keyboard Layouts
  • From: Paul Tykodi <pault@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:02:23 -0400

Chris Rehm Wrote:

>Does anyone know if there is someplace to get alternate keyboard layouts
>for the CA 5250 screens? Specifically for notebook PCs.

Dear Chris,

Here is some information from the IBM Client Access web page that might help.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606

APAR= II09956
CLIENT ACCESS PC5250 KEYBOARD MAPPING INFORMATION

*** Last updated 11/22/96 ***

PC5250 ENTER Key Concerns

Many AS/400 Client Access users are surprised and frustrated
by the default keyboard mappings provided by PC5250.

The biggest problem for most people is the PC "Enter" key,
which is suddenly mapped to the "newline" function when you
bring up your 5250 Emulator.  Your fingers must fumble their
way down a couple of levels in order to find that the "Ctrl"
key on the right side of the keyboard is suddenly your
"Enter" key...

Client Access recognizes the need for a change in this area,
but until that occurs, let's show you what to do to make
your keyboard easier to use!

When you first configure and connect to your favorite AS/400
and use a PC5250 session to access your OS/400 signon screen,
take a minute and do the following to remap the "Enter" key:

 1) Click the "Map" icon on the Toolbar.

 2) Click on "<-'" (PC Enter key) on the keyboard display.

 3) Click on the "Function" list, and scroll down until you get
    to the "Enter" key; then select it.

 4) Under "Change Current Actions for Selected Key", click on
    the "->" next to "Base".  This will change the base action
    for the PC Enter key to "Enter".

 5) Make sure you next click on "Change Key" at the bottom of
    the screen.  No change has taken affect unless you do this
    step.

 6) Next, save this new keyboard default by choosing "Save"
    off the "File" pulldown, and save it as MYKBD.KMP.

 7) Finally, when exiting the mapping function, choose
    "Yes" when prompted to save MYKBD.KMP for this session.

Now you can signon with an "Enter" key that maps to the real PC
"Enter" key!

Keys that do not offer any mapping choice are the "Print Screen,
Num Lock, Scroll Lock, Caps Lock, Shift, and Alt" keys.