RE:     Re: DOW vs DOU

>C       $$FKEY     WHEQ  ##F03               (If F3 or F12 is
>C       $$FKEY     OREQ  ##F12               pressed, set loop exit)
>C                  MOVE 'Y'       #EXIT1

         (What, you don't say MOVE YES   #EXIT1 ?)

I moved from a place(Syracuse NY) where we called the things you wear
on your feet to play basketball "Sneakers".  If you said "A pair of
Sneaks"  everyone there knew what you meant. It might sound stupid but
there was never any confusion.  I moved to Richmond VA and
They didn't know what I was talking about.  They called them "Tennis Shoes"
EVEN if they never played Tennis!

The point is "A rose is a rose" and "clarity is in the cognizance of the
beholder"

The AID byte via named constants etc.  maybe perfectly clear to some folks
and maybe even asthetically/intellectually defendable.

Others (With different standards)  may say "How much simpler can you get
than saying (IN03 IFEQ *ON)  or maybe (*IN12 IFEQ *ON)?  These people
may work in shops where *IN01 -> *IN24 are ALWAYS F-keys response
indicators.  Would they be wrong? (on the other hand I have never
personally met a person who could tell me what function key
*INKQ  or *INKJ was without looking at the sky or his/her shoes
(But if I said "*IN03 = F3,  guess what Fkey *IN18 is",  100% get it right)

I personally look at the following section of code(at bottom
of this post) and say "You can make it simpler and more generic/clonable"

Separate the Logic control from the Data manipulation code.

If its a screen processing routine;
1. Then Present the screen,
2. Determine which function/enter key was pressed. and
3. Process the routine that handles THAT function/enter key.

My mainline screen processing routine is generally about 20-30 statements
It does not usually have any data manipulation at all, just control logic

I have a S1ENTER key subr. for "Screen 1 Enter key" processing.
It generally contains only CASxx or SELECT/WHEN functions.

I have a subroutine for each function key.  Only things that pertain
to that function key are in there. Generally these do NOT have any
CAS,SELECT, or IFxx statements.  They just do the Fkey function thats
it.

And also I do not set flags or indicators to "Bubble" me up and out of
numerous low level subroutines/DO loops.  For example I personally have
no problem with saying (*IN03 CASEQ *ON     EXIT).  in the mainline or
even some low level functional subroutine.  I have a subroutine called
EXIT which uses the RETURN function.  It may or may not set on *INLR
in the particular program  but THE ONLY WAY OUT of the program is
that door.  I find numerous RETURNS through out the program "Not Neat"

The last line in my Mainline section is a Failsafe EXSR   EXIT.

Just my $.02 but I maybe wrong.

John P. Carr
EdgeTech

C       F1DISP     BEGSR

C                  EXSR  F1INZ             (any pre-screen processing)

C                  MOVE  'N'      #EXIT1
C       #EXIT1     DOWNE 'Y'                (loop continues until ,
C                  EXFMT FMT1                exit set)

(#EXIT1 DOWEQ 'N' would also be valid but I tend to think in the negative.)

C                  SELEC

C       $$FKEY     WHEQ  ##F03               (If F3 or F12 is
C       $$FKEY     OREQ  ##F12               pressed, set loop exit)
C                  MOVE 'Y'       #EXIT1

C       $$FKEY     WHEQ  ##F04
C                  EXSR  @@INQ1            (prompt/lookup inquiry calls)

C                  OTHER
C                  EXSR  @@EDT1            (input field editing)

C       $ERROR     IFNE  'Y'
C                  EXSR  @@UPD1            (file update)
C                  EXSR  @@INZ1
C                  ENDIF

(Again, $ERROR IFEQ 'N' could also be used.)

C                  ENDSL

C                  ENDDO

C                  ENDSR