Tim
There is a difference between Triggers & R/I.

 In a trigger program, lets say  you want to do some kind of
edit on the record being passed (record image that was Updated/Added/Deleted)
and lets say
you find something wrong and you don't want the function to happen.

First you must be triggering *BEFORE for the event time and second if you want
to signal to the
program above you not to do the data base operation,   YES you must issue an
*EXCAPE type
message to "crash and burn" the stack above you.   I think IBM's understanding
was that
"Of course everyone checks every I/O operation for an error(*IN in the less than
or middle position)  already and takes the appropriate action RIGHT?

 This in effect does not allow you to do editing on the record being passed to
you.    HOWEVER there are a million other valuable uses for triggers besides
secondary edits.  Its a great tool and I highly recommend you try playing with
it in your own library and think of some creative productional uses for it in
your shop.  Nothing to be afraid of.

Now   R/I is a different matter.    Since I've written a paragraph already  and
everyone is most likely bored of my ramblings ,  I'll let someone else explain
the pitfalls of this other powerful DB tool.

John P. Carr  CDP
EdgeTech

Message text written by INTERNET:Tim_Lennon/Thomas_Miller_at_Mutual@mutual.co.uk