  • Subject: Re: Running a program on an RS6000 via FTP
  • From: Carl Galgano <cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:42:53 -0400

Thanks to all who responded, especially, Neil, Dennis & Jeff.  At the risk
(RS) of being a pest, I still can not get this working.

Per Dennis emial I did the following on the RS600 via a TELNET session and
get the following response:

$ grep rexec /etc/inetd.conf
exec        stream      tcp     nowait  root    /etc/rexecd     rexecd
$

So I assume the rexecd dameon is running on the RS6000.  Below is the AS400
command I run (RUNRMTCMD):

                         Run Remote Command (RUNRMTCMD)

 Type choices, press Enter.

 Command  . . . . . . . . . . . . > 'run stc.322gatex'

 Remote location:
   Name or address  . . . . . . . > RS6000

   Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . > *IP           *SNA, *IP
 Remote user ID . . . . . . . . . > carledi       Character value, *NONE...
 Remote password  . . . . . . . .   xxxxxxxxx     Character value, *NONE

                                                                         Bot
tom

The RUNRMTCMD command creates a spool file with the following error message:

                              Display Spooled File
 File  . . . . . :   QSYSPRT                          Page/Line   1/6
 Control . . . . .                                    Columns     1 - 78
 Find  . . . . . .
 *...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7....+...
  Login incorrect.

I am sure that the user id & pwd I am using is correct.  I can use it to
logon w/TELNET & FTP.  I have tried upper case & lower case.

Anyone have any other ideas????

TIA,
Regards,
Carl

At 12:11 PM 4/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>This is from our resident Unix expert, Dennis Lovelady, who was the AS/400
>system administrator   on our AS/400 and has moved up/down to Unix depending
>on how you see it.
>

>Dennis Responds:
>
>Thanks for this.  It works fine here at KEMET.  Please pass the following
>message on to the list:
>
>Hi, Midrangers!  Long time no talk.
>
>On AIX4.1.5, you don't see rexec running (via ps -ef | grep rexecd) unless it
>is currently honoring a request from another system.  This is because inetd
>determines the need to spawn rexecd processes on an as-needed basis.
>
>To determine if rexecd is configured on your AIX system, you can do:
>   $ grep rexec /etc/inetd.conf
>
>You should get back a line looking something like this:
>  exec  stream  tcp      nowait  root   /usr/sbin/rexecd     rexecd
>
>If this line is not echoed, or if it is preceeded by '#' then the SysAdmin
>would need to alter inetd.conf to include the rexecd daemon.  (Note that by
>default, rexecd is configured to run on the system, so if it has been
>disabled, there may be some reason (such as a security concern) at your site.)

>*                                                                       *
>*      _/_/_/    _/_/_/_/  _/     _/  _/     _/  _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/      *
>*     _/    _/  _/        _/_/   _/  _/_/   _/    _/    _/              *
>*    _/    _/  _/_/_/    _/ _/  _/  _/ _/  _/    _/    _/_/_/_/         *
>*   _/    _/  _/        _/   _/_/  _/   _/_/    _/          _/   Dennis *
>*  Simpsonville, SC     E-MAIL: DennisLovelady@KEMET.COM  (work)        *
>*                           or: Dennis@Lovelady.com       (life)        *

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.