"Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>That's a bang-head-on-desk-and-thank-you moment.

As many such moments as I've had for myself, one of my favorite memories of
that kind of moment was a time I walked into a programming area at a client
site where three programmers were huddled.

"Wow, SO glad you're here. We've been trying to figure this out all morning!"

It was right at noon when I arrived. They were looking over a RPGIII listing
from a S/38; it had been throwing an apparent impossible error when it reached
the CALL statement for calling a subprogram. They'd all been at it as a group
for at least two hours by then and the error message just wasn't making sense.

Because I looked at it with fresh eyes, it was obvious to me.

"Shouldn't that program name be in quotes?"

"D'oh!" "D'oh!" "D'oh!"

It's astounding how blind you can be when you KNOW a thing is true (but it
really isn't).

It has nothing to do with 'stupid questions'. It's just the paradigm that's
currently filtering your thoughts.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta