Hi Leif,

Thank you for customizing that app!  Finally got a chance to test it (the
latest one that you modified to handle the "message authentication"
function), and the results were "inconclusive" (the program bombed <g>).
Does it help to know up front that this is a v3r2 system?

The MIFHASH program was called with the following parameters:
  'DJBLIB    ' ==> library
  'QTSTSRC   ' ==> source file
  'FSMCPPDSP ' ==> member
  &hashoutput  ==> Dcl &hashoutput *char  40

* * * * * * * * * * *
 2>> CALL TESTHASH
        700 - RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QTIME) RTNVAR(&TIMESTART)
       1000 - CALL PGM(MIFHASH)  /* The CALL command contains
       parameters */
     Template value not valid for instruction.
     Function check. MCH5601 unmonitored by MIFHASH at statement *N,
       instruction X'0013'.
     CPF9999 received by TESTHASH at 1000. (C D I R)
     CPF9999 received by TESTHASH at 1000. (C D I R)
* * * * * * * * * * *

Looking at the job, I can see that the source member is opened, but with a
zero I/O count.

According to the MI "compile" listing, instruction 0013 appears to be:
CIPHER .CIPHER-RESULT, CONTROL, .CIPHER-SOURCE
from the "HASH-DUMMY-FIRST-RECORD" section.

Detailed messages - - - - -
Message ID . . . :   MCH5601       Severity . . . :   40
Message type . . :   Escape
Date sent  . . . :   05/14/02      Time sent  . . :   13:37:37

Message . . . . :   Template value not valid for instruction.
Cause . . . . . :   The location of the value is template  with an offset to
  field in bytes X'0000', an offset in field in bits X'0000', a length of
  field of 2, and an instruction operand number of 2.  The reason code is .
If
  the reason code is X'0000', a reason code may not be available.

- Dan Bale
(I am *NOT* "Dale"
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200105/msg00281.html )
SAMSA, Inc.