  >> It strikes me that this is another move to remove AS/400 stuff from the
C compiler so IBM can maintain a single compiler for all platforms.

I don't know for certain Simon but my guess is that you are right but not
for the reasons you state.  It is necessity that drives it - not an SAA
mentality.

They wanted to bring the latest C and C++ compilers to the 400 and have done
so by changing the code-gen phase of the new AIX compilers to output 400
flavored W-code.  My suspicion is that they didn't want (or didn't have the
resource) to have the DDS extraction built-in to the compiler and so ported
it as a separate function.  Although it may sound trivial to add it to the
compiler, I remember what an incredible amount of work it was when it was
first done - the C compiler just didn't want to co-operate!

The number of C and C++ users is relatively small.  Those who want/need it
are asking for the greatest x-platform portability possible.  Add to that
the fact that there is no direct revenue to IBM from the C/C++ compilers and
you can see why they want it to be a little more generic.

I think we have to face the fact that only by accepting a few compromises in
areas such as this can we guarantee that we will continue to get support for
languages such as these.

Jon Paris
Partner400