Interesting point, Bill.  I haven't read the licensing agreement,
but it seems to me that IBM doesn't have a leg to stand on.

If I buy a car that can go 100 mph, and I slap a new engine in that
can go 200 mph, the car dealer doesn't have a thing to say about it,
I bought it, I can do what I want with it.

Now, if I leased this car from Rent-A-Wreck, I couldn't rightfully
make any modifications to their car, not mine.

If the system we have is owned by us (not sure if it is or not) IBM
hasn't a thing to say about how we actually use the hardware.  We
could use it for a boat anchor for all they could say about it.

The only issue I could see would be with the software side.  If we
are licensing OS/400 to run on a P10, and pay a certain price for that
rather than the higher price for a P20, and I kick up the interactive
to effectively be a P20 machine, I could see IBM saying we had to pay
more for the O/S (although I don't agree with tier based software
pricing, that is how it is licensed and how we buy it).

Which brings up additional software issues.  Other software we license
for our system we license for a P10 model.  Would we be legally, if
not morally, responsible for paying the additional licensing fees?

Regards,

Jim Langston