  • Subject: MATCTX (was Detecting changing objects...)
  • From: bvining@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 99 15:18:17 CST

Leif,

I am unable to recreate this exposure (on V4R4 at 50 anyway), and am not
sure I understand your exact environment.  The two builtins I looked
at (_MATCTX1 and _MATCTX2) are system builtins that map directly to
the MI instruction so I'm not clear on what system state program you
are seeing on the stack.

I can also think of scenarios where C runtime is simply doing the same
checking (if not actually using) as the QusMaterializeContext API and
so no breach necessarily exists (though in my test environment I got
MCH6801 with the C builtin _MATCTX2 which suggests the runtime isn't
using the API so one scenario may be scratched...).

Could you send me a quick test case and what release/security level you
are seeing the successful run on?

Thanks,
Bruce

>The V4R2 functional reference manual does not mention any
>restrictions. Anyway, I still don't have a *rationale* for why
>an obvious security breach is allowed in C and not in MI.
>
>As I mentioned in my post it is*obvious* that it would work
>with the C-program because at the bottom of the API it
>is a system state program that executes the MATCTX.
>What is not obvious is why *this* breach is allowed.
>So my question still stands. It is not about "how",
>but about "why"?

+---