From: "Kevin Fox" <kdfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mapics-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: MAPICS - need info on the AMAPICS user profile

> Dave,
>
> I'm with you on this one.  So please, rant away!
>
> It is still amazing to me how many MAPICS sites do not understand the
MAPICS security methodology.  This is not meant to offend anyone, but if you
don't know this your just asking for trouble.

> It's like the CEO who asked me to evaluate his security system now that
they were on the Internet.  They had purchased MAPICS about 2 years prior
and were just know linking the AS/400 data to web inquiries.

> I walked up to a PC and logged into the AS/400 with QSECOFR and the
default password!!

> (Note: This was about 3 years ago before IBM forced a change to the
password.)

> I turned to the CEO and said "I will 100% guarantee that your companies
systems WILL be hacked."  He looked shocked.  I told him that it was obvious
that their IT department did not have even rudimentary security policies in
place.

> These shops that don't understand the basics are the same shops that allow
programmers to program with QSECOFR authority.  Amazing!

> Anyway,  for those of you attempting to clear SARB-OX audits please be
aware that this type of neglect will get a failing grade from any of the
reputable audit firms.

> Greg you are absolutly correct in your understanding of the "short cuts"
taken by the lazy, the ignorant. and the down right dishonest consultants
that should know better.