Nandu,

PTS are not actually files but different levels of program objects.
APARs (authorized program analysis reports if I remember properly) are
opened by customers and resolved thru program temporary fixes (PTFs).
These can be downloaded and applied directly for the noted problem or
collected into fix cds that are issued from time to time. Since they are
fixed and have a ptf number assigned sequentially a lot of the fixes may
not apply in your environment if don't have the impacted application.

What the user should notice are applications becoming more reliable as
the bugs are worked out. Lately your mileage may vary. A lot of fixes
look to be incorrect or incomplete so you may actually find something
fixed and another thing broken. Hopefully what is broken is minor enough
not to cause database corruption.

The safest strategy is to apply the fixes one by one to address problems
as they are noted by your users but it is impractical due to the volume
of fixes and the dumb requirement that you must come up to the latest
level before support will begin to assist in problem resolution. Right
now there is no real good solution.

In a customized environment you should download the source for the fixes
or read the APAR letter and make the equivalent fixes in your modified
code if you agree with their fix, keeping the resultant object in a
separate library at the top of your MAPICS library list.

Regards

Konrad Underkofler