Tom:

In the three shift operation mode the value of a mirrored disk configuration
can not be over stated.

In the way of background:  In a mirrored disk environment the software
responsible for the disk writes records to 2 spindles simultaneously,
mirroring the live files.  At some point the mirror-ing operation is
discontinued, tape backups are performed and the mirroring resumed.  When
resumed the mirroring process "catches up" with the live updates and then
remains in sync until the mirror is broken again.

Mirrored disk subsystems require specialized software and generally come
from third parties.  Datafort is one supplier, IBM supplies Shark disks
arrays and of course EMC has the capability.  I don't know if any of these
suppliers work with the AS400/iSeries machines.

For more than you'd ever want to know do a Google search on "Mirrored disk".

Roy Luce

Main:   847-540-9635
Cell:   847-910-0884
Fax:    208-330-9032