I've enjoyed reading these posts!

I started with Mandrake (later Mandriva) around 2002. I had W2K and
didn't have the cash to buy new hardware to support XP. I had a PIII
with 256mb ram. I still have that pc. It now is running ubuntu
server 8.04. Another pc that had Windows Me (maybe the worst OS
ever?) was a PII with 64mb of ram. I ran IPCOP on that box for years
until a few months ago when I got Verizon FiOS (and their free router)
and started using OpenDNS. At some point running IPCOP went from a
hobby to a chore which is why I unplugged it.

I switched from Mandriva to Ubuntu 8.04. I wasn't really having
problems with Mandriva - just wanted a change. I'm used to gnome now
but I prefer KDE. I know I can use kubuntu but haven't been motivated
enough to do it. A few months ago my main PC stopped working (which
was running ubuntu 9.04. It was a P4, loud, and big - oh and in the
living room. Instead of fixing it I decided to try an asus eeebox.
Super small and quiet. It came with a type of Xandros which never
worked. I installed ubuntu 9.04 and everything just worked. Sound,
video, wireless, printing. Well, almost. There is a problem with the
video where I can't use a compiz function to enlarge the display. (I
should be able to hold the windows key and scroll the mouse wheel to
have the display magnify.)

When I was contracting I had an account with Netshare/400. I used a
5250 client on my Mandrake box to connect to it. I was conflicted,
though, because at the time I was a huge CODE/400 user. Shortly
thereafter I stopped contracting. The only way to connect to my
employer's network is using the laptop they provided me which runs XP,
so I was back with CODE (then WDSC now RDi.)

All of my kids have had to use either Mandriva or Ubuntu while they
were kids. Even the ones who now have laptops with Windows still use
openoffice (or google apps.)

Phil