On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Manuele R. wrote:

I've download and compile the tn5250 ver. 0.17.3

It work fine, I've remapped the keyboard like IBM 3477 terminal keybord (Italian layout) but I don't know why the BACKSPACE don't work (it go back but don't delete the caracter) [This in console mode]; in my

This is because tn5250 uses a non-destructive backspace just like a real IBM 5250 terminal. A quick search through the archives for 'destructive backspace' reveals that a little bit of coding is required to get what you want. To get a destructive backspace, you need to edit display.c. Around line 1576 you should see this code:

    case K_BACKSPACE:
      tn5250_display_kf_backspace (This);

Add the following line immediately after:

      tn5250_display_kf_delete (This);

Then recompile and install.  That should give you a destructive backspace.

If people want, I can add a feature for this that is user configurable at run time. Should be pretty easy.

(BUT I DON'T WONNT TO USE X BECAUSE I HAVE MANY OLDEST PC)

Wow - that must be some old PC. I have an old 486 laptop with 16MB of RAM that I still use (and develop x5250 on just to be sure it works). Even on that slow old thing X is no problem. Running gnome or KDE would be a disaster, but windowmaker is quite nice.

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw