> My setup (using xt5250 on SuSE 9.1 Linux & KDE) works great, except that on a
> test screen that displays all displayable chars (>= x40) it seems to swallow
> some little-used chars.  Maybe it's processing them as commands, rather than
> data?

Can't be treating them as commands, if it were, the behavior would be
consistent across all terminal objects -- instead of being different in
each.

> On the first line of the table, one of the chars (x70 x80 x90 or xA0)
> seems to be swallowed, shifting the rest of the line to the left.  The
> same happens on the lines for chars ending in xC, xD & xE.  Also on the
> first line, a spurious character sometimes, but not always, mysteriously
> appears between '20 GRN' and '30 TRQ'.

Interesting.  All of these characters work on my system, I've tried it in
xt5250, x5250 and gtk-5250... they all work :)

Maybe it's a Linux thing?  (I'm running FreeBSD)

Or maybe it's an issue with the codepage of your display.  TN5250 lets you
specify the AS/400's CCSID in the map= argument, but it always translates
the EBCDIC CCSID to ISO-8859-1, it has no provisions for any other result.
I wonder if that could be part of the problem?

> I wonder if this is a consequence of ncurses?

I don't seem to have the problem with ncurses, but again, it could be a
Linux/FreeBSD difference, or it could be a combination of things.

> BTW, x5250 displays it perfectly, except that it doesn't show the 3
> chars less than x40: x1C, which is the char that dumb terminals display
> when you press the dup key (looks like an asterisk with a line over it),
> x1E which is a high line, and x1F, a solid rectangle.  I presume that's
> because the font used doesn't have those chars (but who cares, really?).

I don't get the DUP or "high line" on any of the terminals... xt5250,
gtk-5250, or x5250.  The solid block works everywhere except x5250...
James has something against solid rectangles, it seems :)

The colors are all messed up in x5250 as well -- but that's a whole other
topic.