On 13 May 2002, Steve Fox wrote:

> This compiled clean for me on Mandrake 8.2 and Red Hat 7.2, but it
> failed on Red Hat 6.2. It looks like a ncurses problem and the former
> two distros have ncurses 5.2 whereas the later has 5.0. If someone else
> wants to verify this dependency on the newer ncurses version, someone
> should then change the Requires: section in the spec file to read
> 'ncurses >= 5.2'.

Is this the same ncurses problem that Frank Richter reported?  Here's
a link to his message:

http://archive.midrange.com/linux5250/200205/msg00018.html

If so, I wonder if I shouldn't make a new release now that the fix is
committed.  This seems like it would affect a lot of people.

> There may be some unnecessary dependencies there too. For example, is
> the 0.16.x branch dependent upon glib? I think so, but I can't remember
> if that was held off until the 0.17 branch.

Glib is not required for the 0.16.x branch.  Only for 0.17.

> Anyway, this works for me and should allow an up to date spec file to be
> created for each release (since version info is generated from the
> configure.in).

[removed patch & spec file from reply]

Thanks, Steve...   I'll give it a try and commit it to CVS.  I've never
made an RPM before... looks interesting :)