The Classic version of Java for IBM i was the Oracle/Sun version of Java
that was ported to the IBM i operating system. Of course this version of
the Java runtime has been optimized for the x86 world. Oracle was not very
interested in working with IBM for Power optimization, SO IBM research
decided to build our own Java runtime engine. It uses the normal class
libraries and such but the actual runtime is an IBM created engine that is
tuned and written to leverage the architecture of the Power Processor.
This JVM run in the UNIX environment, so runs native on AIX and also run
on Linux. With IBM imbedding an AIX kernal in IBM I ( that is what PASE
is) we where able to run the new version of Java. Officially called IBM
Technology for Java but of course we at IBM have to have code names for
every thing, and we have been calling this version J9 forever. So the J9
version of Java is the Sun/Orcale Class libraries running on the IBM
version of Java.

Tim

Tim Rowe, timmr@xxxxxxxxxx
Business Architect Application Development & Systems Management for IBM i
IBM i Development Lab, Rochester, MN
(507) 253-6191 (Tie) 553-6191

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/are/index.html