From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:20 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: Re: AS400/DB2 - caching specific query

Tomer,

Most likely that is because the access plan is being deleted at IPL.
When the query runs again, the access plan is recreated and kept so the
optimization does not need to be done again. Another thing to consider,
put the query jobs into a memory shared pool that does not change. That
way the optimizer can just use the current plan without having to
re-optimize the query every time it runs.

If you are not applying PTF's and the temporary addresses are not
growing significantly, you don't need to IPL. V6 is very good at
cleaning itself up and V7 is better.

If you search the archives there are several discussions regarding the
best QAQQINI settings. Also there is a couple of good Redbooks about
DB/2 performance as well. Search for "IBM i Database Performance and
Query Optimization" The most recent version is for 7.1 but you might
find the 6.1 version somewhere. Most of the 7.1 content applies to 6.1
as well.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects