From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: 14. september 2010 23:55
To: Java Programming on and around the IBM i
Subject: Re: WSDCi "run Java on i" - where is it now?

I don't have the final skinny on this, but any Rational product that
supports SOA construction should supply all the Java functionality you
might want.

Alternately, you can get EGL CE which provides rich-client EGL and
services development for free.

Joe
Post WDSCi, my understanding is that you have to purchase RAD to get
Rational Java development tooling since those features are no longer
available in RDi or RDP. In other words, to get comparable/updated
functionality, it appears that you have to purcahse RDP for $860 USD and
then RAD for another $2150 USD to replace WDSCi. Further, if you want to
try out EGL, you have to fork out additional $$$ for the RDi/RDP for SOA
construction.

Blake

--------------------------------------

date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:44:53 +0200
from: Thorbj?rn Ravn Andersen <thunderaxiom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: WSDCi "run Java on i" - where is it now?

Based on a recent experience with inadequate information about the actual
runtime performance statistics for a Java program on the i, I?ve decided
have a look at what IBM offers these days.

In WSDCi 7.0 you can ?run? and ?debug? Java programs on the I (which we
haven?t used much as it did not provide a deploy-from-eclipse-then-run
use).
Unfortunately there was no ?profile? which is what I am looking for.

Hence I just downloaded RDP 7.6 with the i-tooling, but it appears that
only
RPG and Cobol toolings are present and the Java ? if any ? requires
downloading and installing yet another RDfoo package first.

So, where did that functionality go? Is it better than it was in WSDCi
7.0?

What would be the cheapest route to get there?

Thanks

/Thorbj?rn