Hi Ashish,

So in this case if i change the XML to UTF-16 or ISO 8859-1,
will it work,

ISO 8859-1 will only work using Thorbjrøn's suggestion; that is,
everything must be in that encoding, which is why he suggested the &#xyz;
formatting (notice that's *formatting*, not encoding.) That's because IFS
files default to ASCII (on CCSID 37 machines, AFAIK.)

For other encodings, you have to explicitly set the encoding when
writing/reading the file. Just changing the encoding parameter in the XML
text doesn't do anything. You should be able to write UTF-8 as easily (or
with as much difficulty) as anything else. I am assuming that you gen the
XML, then write it to disk, then your web service reads the XML file.

The really bad news is that apparently Java has a problem with Unicode
BOM's as well, see this link for an explanation and proposed solution:

Java's UTF-8 and Unicode writing is broken - Use this fix
http://tripoverit.blogspot.com/2007/04/javas-utf-8-and-unicode-writing-is.html

I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be really interested in the results As you may have noticed, I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment.

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400