From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:55 PM
To: Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400
Subject: Re: Which UI "engine" to use?

Aaron Bartell wrote:
I get an XML feed from the server and it will have something like the
following:

<form id="form1">
<button id="btnSubmit" x="12" y="100" value="Submit" />
</form>

Based on that I know I need to display a form with a single button on the
screen which I do by parsing the XML and incrementally "drawing it" by
instantiating AWT objects and adding them to a panel/frame.

Just as an aside, if you have control over both sides of the
conversation, XML could be overkill for this, especially if you're going
to use your own syntax. You might look at JSON instead. JSON is
leaner. But a lot depends on how fat your XML is in the first place.

Joe