Hi
Use this
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bigdate.html
for all your date calculations works fine DST and all
possible conditions,
Create a BigDate instance of the 2 dates you want to
compare and then do
bigDeciamal2.getOrdinal() - bigDecimal1.getOrdinal();

This would give you number of days difference

Ashish

--- NGay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

This is part of the current problem - the date
related classes seem
to be trying to deal with Daylight Savings Time or
something and when
your dates cross the changeover point the results
are inaccurate.

Besides - doesn't it strike you as thoroughly
silly that one should
even have to contemplate "playing" with
milliseconds to get a count
of a number of days! It is insane that such steps
should be required
in a so-called "modern" language.

IHMO one of the problems is the name of the class!
java.util.Date should
be called something like java.util.PointInTime since
it represents a
specific moment, not a complete 24 hour day - and
this would hopefully stop
so many programmers from being initially confused by
how to use it.
There's no actual "date" class which can store a
date without caring what
time of day it is.

Here's the code I wrote for it, and been using this
for a while and have
JUnit tests for it which test all the DST change
scenarios, so I'm pretty
sure it works OK, at least in the way I use it. It
relies on and (mostly)
validates that you only pass it midnight times, so
it wouldn't work with
the example posted using 8am/8pm times.

Hope this helps,

Nigel Gay,
Computer Patent Annuities Limited.

/**
* Counts the number of days between the two
dates, i.e. 2nd date -
1st date; the dates are assumed to have no time
component
* @param firstDate The earlier date
* @param secondDate The later date
* @return The number of days between the two
dates
* @throws IllegalArgumentException If the
dates have a time
component
*/
public static int calcDaysBetweenDates (Date
firstDate, Date
secondDate)
throws IllegalArgumentException
{
// It won't necessarily be an even
number of 24 hours between
the two dates - there might be daylight savings
involved, in which case
// there may be a 23 or 25 hour day in
there somewhere -
however it should be an even number of hours between
the two dates
long difference = secondDate.getTime ()
- firstDate.getTime ();

if (difference < 0)
throw new IllegalArgumentException
("calcDaysBetweenDates: Second date must be equal to
or later than the
first date");

long millisecondsInAnHour = 1000 * 60 *
60;

if (difference % millisecondsInAnHour !=
0)
throw new IllegalArgumentException
("calcDaysBetweenDates: Dates must not have a time
component (1)");

difference = difference /
millisecondsInAnHour;

// We should only stray +/- 1 hour from
regular 24 hour days
long remainder = difference % 24;
if ((remainder != 0) && (remainder != 1)
&& (remainder != 23))
throw new IllegalArgumentException
("calcDaysBetweenDates: Dates must not have a time
component (2)");

// Adjust number of hours to make it an
even 24
if (remainder == 23)
remainder = -1;

difference = (difference - remainder) /
24;

return (int) difference;

The information in this message is confidential and
may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee;
access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you are
kindly requested
to return a copy of this message to the sender
indicating that you
have received it in error, and to destroy the
received copy; and (2)
any disclosure or distribution of this message, as
well as any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on its
content, is prohibited
and may be unlawful.