Hi Everyone,

As some of you might be aware, I spend a significant portion of my time
keeping up with things in the Java world. One aspect of that is that I'm on
many mailing lists, and I thought this post (see below) from the Austin JUG
might be useful in light of recent threads here.

It's still a server world for now, although I'd prefer desktop
programming, and you can give a lot more client functionality. One aspect
of it, though, is that in a business environment, you want a shared
database. Most desktop apps tend to think of data as their own and keep a
connection for the duration. That's a pretty tough resource load on a
central server. I think the answer is a server component that effectively
manages a connection pool and sends data to the app on request, but it needs
a standard. JEE actually has a little-discussed client component, but you
generally need to bring a *lot* of the infrastructure along for the ride.

To Joel: We generally don't get into flame wars with those less
fortunate than ourselves. By which I mean, if you're not on Windows, aren't
you out of luck? Yep, I know about mono, but do you trust Microsoft?

I got stuck with supporting a WAS 6.0 (read JDK 1.4.2, ) JSP-JSF 1.0
application. There are too many factors involved to judge JSF alone, but I
haven't seen any deal killers.

At the same time, my preference is vastly to Facelets, which eliminates
JSP issues altogether. My understanding is that Facelets, or something
extremely similar, will be included in JSF 2.0. JSF 1.2 swaps state to
disk, which alleviates a major JSF issue. I'm starting on a project which
will use Facelets/JSF 1.2, so I can report better specifics in the future.
However, it is not an AS/400 project.

Even so, that project will include single sign-on, access security, and
optimistic concurrency, so it may again be difficult to gauge JSF as a
single factor.

One thing I will *not* use is stored procedures. Now that should start
a flame war...

Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah - http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO - Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International? http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400? http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400