From: java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Rick DuVall
Sent: February 2, 2007 08:54
To: 'Java Programming on and around the iSeries / AS400'
Subject: RE: Printing in Java

Hi Tamas,

        Thanks for the response - I am still trying to get this thing to work.
I can print to a normal printer but can't seem to get the escape sequences
right on the thermal - rpg does it fine but that may be because of the device
setup.  Anyway, I am fighting the configuration wars with it...

        I used the new FileOutputStream("LPT1") method and it seems to work but
for the proper escapes.  It will have to give up eventually <smile>.
Thanks again.

Regards,
Rick

[mailto:java400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tamas Perlaky Hi
Rick,

The way I did it in the past with a line printer (which I had to
access from several computers) was to share the line printer on a
Win2K print server and then open the UNC path to the printer as an
output file stream from my Java code.  I think you could also print to
open LPTx: or COMx: on the local machine as if they were files too,
but I've not tried that in a while.

If you want to get more sophisticated about it, you could try working
with the parallel or serial port directly.  This is something I've
never tried personally, but if you want to give it a go then I'd
suggest starting with http://www.rxtx.org/, which is a toolkit that
allows this kind of stuff.  Sun actually has an API for port access,
but I don't think it's supported in Windows any more.

(In all of this I'm assuming that your Java code will be running on
Windows based on your Swing comments in the initial post... please let
me know if I'm wrong.)

t.